Top 8 tips to boost your immune system?
I love winter, it is my favourite season, I know some might call me crazy, but I always have loved it. The only thing I don't like about it is the colds and flus it brings!
Now I'm not promising that the following will stop you getting sick at all, we are all human and get the occasional cold, but for some, winter is a constant battle against runny noses and annoying coughing fits.
Here are a few of my immune boosting tips and tricks:
- Eat plenty of fresh, (if possible home grown) seasonal fruit and veg. Why? When in season they are jam packed full of antioxidants and vitamins and minerals and help keep your body running at its best, so that it has the best chance of fighting of the dreaded lurgy.
- Drink plenty of water, so many reasons why this is important, but to keep it simple hydrated bodies are happy bodies, plus being around heating drains your body and we tend to forget about H2O when its no longer hot.
- Green smoothies, with berries, foods such as spinach, kale, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries are high in antioxidants (they fight of baddies in your body) iron (essential for immune function) Vitamin C (immune fighting and boosting, reduces inflammation, reduces mucus production) Plus add a dash of ginger and turmeric, both anti inflammatory and help break down mucus. Make it part of your daily routine if possible, plus adding additional nutrients by adding products such as "vital greens" can help top your body up with essential nutrients.
- Exercise - yes I know its hard when its cold and wet, but healthy mind, body spirit all goes together, exercise promotes healthy blood flow, lymphatic flow, releases feel good hormones and helps reduce stress.
- Use old fashioned cleaning agents around hyena home, ie) chemical free!! By reducing pollutants in your home your body doesn't doesn't has to work alas had and has more energy to fight any bugs.
- Essential oils are growing in popularity as a preventative and to aid symptoms when you are sick, some strong antiviral, antibacterial oils include, lavendar, frankincense, tea tree, rosemary and peppermint. You can diffuse or apply diluted wiht a carrier oil, insult your local expert for more info on oils.
- improve gut health, take a probiotic, immunity starts in the gut, a probiotic and a healthy, balanced diet are a great start.
- avoid sugars and processed foods, both not great for your body in excessive amounts, with one of them being reducing your immune function. So cut out or minimise these food types.
so there you go a few tips to get you started, feel free to share how you go or any tips you may have that you swear by!!
Leave a comment